Sibiu theater historical notes
Autor: Aurelia Cozma
Sibiu is one of the few cities in Romania that has a theatre documented for over 500 years. The first theatrical performances were given by the Gimnazium in 1475. In 1582 other performances were given in Piata Mare and Piata Mica, as well as performances by the traveling theatre at Casa Albastra.
In 1787, Martin von Hochmeister was given approval by the city magistrate to construct the theatre building, which opened officially in 1788.
During the 19th and 20th centuries the theatre benefited greatly through exposure to Austrian and German acting troupes. This interaction greatly increased the repertoire of the theatre which spurred expansion of the facilities themselves.
Sibui’s theatre experienced an especially prolific period when Gust Ongyerth, a renowned director and producer, managed for several seasons from 1933 to 1944. He also spearheaded the inauguration of the open air theatre at Sub Arini in 1935.
During the Second World War, the theatre performed for the German troops. In 1950 the German language theatre closed, but reopened in 1956.
The Romanian theatre functioned as part of Astra Museum. Nicolae Baila was the first Romanian producer working for the theatre.
The Romanian extension of the theatre was formed in 1923. In 1943 it was named the Working Class Theatre.
The “Radu Stanca “ Theatre was named after Radu Stanca who managed the theatre in 1949.