The evolution of the romanian school in the District of Orăştie between 1867-1914
Autor: Marius Bârlianu
In the history of the Romanian school and culture, Orastie is among the towns that were decisively influenced by Transylvania’s historical and political development. A number of well-kept documents reveal the existence of some schools in the district of Orastie, schools organized according to the norms of the time. These documents can offer information regarding the monographic study of the education in Transylvania. However, the record of the education in the District of Orastie must not be regarded as isolated, but in close connection with the evolution of the other minorities and confessions in the area.
Between 1867-1914 the Romanian School in the District of Orastie was supported and evolved in connection with the two confessions: orthodox and Greek-Catholic. It can be stated that, although it followed a curvy path, the confessional education dramatically progressed in the District of Orastie between 1867-1914. From the period of organization, owing to Andrei Saguna, Metropolitan, to the rigours imposed by the Hungarian laws of organization (actually, the denationalization of the Romanians through education) of all the education system (from 1868, 1876, 1879, 1883, and 1907) and to the moment the First World War started, the Romanian Confessional School knew how to promote national ideals, Romanians’ traditions and beliefs and the Romanian culture.