The Băiţa – Crăciuneşti gold mines – historical guidelines
Autori: Constantin Nichitean, Coralia Maria Jianu
The archaeological artefacts reveal that these mines (originally belonging to the Dacians, taken over later on by the Romans) have been intensively exploited.
After the Roman retreat throughout the Middle Ages, the mines were owned and worked by the local villagers, organised in families or associations of families. The peasant-miners, as well as the whole village, received some benefits from the ruling classes, but these benefits were not always applied by the local leaders. In time, this situation lead to social outbursts (1784, 1804, 1848), disturbing the mining activity.
The gold veins were mined through adits named Ana, Rudolf, Iosif, Klein, each considered as a separate mine.
In 1825, the mines that were taken over from the peasants by The Tezaurariat, were leased to local entrepreneurs. In 1838, the state took over the mines, and mined them until 1884, when they were sold to private owners.
Societatea “Mica” Brad in 1923 buys the mines, but after three years the leases and the shares are sold to Societatea Topliţa, Măgura, Concordia, which mines them until the 1938 nationalization.
Centrul Minier from Brad intermittently exploited the mines until 20th of May 1960, when they ceased mining.
They were important mines. For during the two millennia large quantities of gold were mined – for example, only in 1894 352.999 kg of gold were mined.