Museography in Braşov at the beginning of the 20th century
Autor: Anca Maria Zamfir
Starting from the first report of the Burzenländer Sächsischen Museum ( the first museum in Braşov, opened in 1908), we intend to discuss its museographical conception.
The museum was created by putting together five private collections. Its declared purpose was to keep up the testimony of the past and to educate the public in connection with it.
The museum was organised in collections (prehistory, ethnology, biology). Most part of the pieces were from the land around Braşov (Ţara Bârsei/Burzenland).
The first museographers were the collectors (Julius Teutsch, Friedrich Deubel, Gustav Treiber, Franz Podek, Karl Lehmann,) who, although self-educated, had a honourable scientific activity, confirmed by the studies they published in Viena and Budapest.
Taking into account how it was organized, The Burzenländer Sächsischen Museum was a modern museum, according to the european museographical conception of the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century.