Observations regarding the Ecclesiastic Complex from Hunedoara – the Corvins’ Castle



Keywords: Hunedoara, castle, gothic, chapel, John of Hunedoara, middle age, catholic

Cuvinte cheie: Hunedoara, castel, gotic, capelă, Ioan de hunedoara, ev mediu, catolic

This article covers the most important aspects of the chapel from Corvins’ Castle in Hunedoara (documentary background and its consequences, building details, references on the rehabilitation works, archaeological research) in order to create an image as complete as possible regarding this important area of the monument. The most important time references for the 15th century (the 8th of March 1443 and the 12th of April 1450) prove out the construction and the activity in a gothic chapel. The owner, John of Hunedoara, settles this unit on the map of the most important catholic religious buildings from the Hungarian Kingdom, due to the size and the the quality of details of this structure. Little documentary information regarding the period when the chapel was used is available (15th-18th century), but fortunately the 19th century sources offer valuable data about the original elements (the porch of the entrance, the border of the sacristy, the rampant of the tribune, the stalum, the windows) and the quality of the restoration works. The research regarding the parament in the chapel (1956, 1957) and the archaeological excavations (1956, 2000, 2001) brought further information concerning the initial aspect of the unit, the stratigraphy of the deposit, the chronology of the materials and structures which had been discovered. They also offered a real support for the quality improvement of the later rehabilitation works. The present image as the result of the restoration works from 1956-1968, 2008 gives arguments for the further rehabilitation of the chapel in order to make it useful again. Until now, the chapel- one of the most valuable examples of late gothic architecture in Transylvania – is the area which offers the most detailed information from the castle of Hunedoara, as a result of the team work between art historians, archivists, archaeologists and restorers.

Translate »